I’ve been in a foodie mood lately. I just had to share what we had for dinner last night. Salmon pizza!
You might not think of salmon for a pizza topping, but trust me it is wonderful.
And it’s so easy to make using pita bread as the crust!
Salmon Pita Pizza
4 thick pita breads, unopened (or Small Boboli crusts)
1 can of Atlantic salmon
1 large green bell pepper
1 can black olives (optional)
red pepper flakes
pizza sauce (optional)
1. Drain the salmon and place it in a dish. Throw away any bones, skin, or parts you don’t want to eat.
2. Wash the green pepper, discard the seeds (or save for growing a new pepper plant!) and cut into strips.
3. Slice the olives in half lengthwise.
4. Arrange several green pepper strips on a pita.
5. Add bite-sized chunks of salmon.
6. Add olives.
7. Top all with shredded cheese, making sure to cover the salmon pieces with cheese.
8. Sprinkle rd pepper flakes over all to taste.
9. Put it in the microwave on medium heat until the cheese is melted and you can smell the food.
That is my favorite version as you see in the photo. My husband puts pizza sauce on the pita before all of this. I think that doesn’t go well with the salmon flavor, but to each his own. He adds olives to his pizza, but I have them as a side.
I love the melding of the salmon flavor with the cheese flavors. It’s a subtle, rich flavor combination.
For years we’ve been making tuna pizza, but the one time we ran out of tuna and substituted salmon was all the convincing we needed. We won’t go back!
You can use any pizza crust for this. We like the pitas because they have good chewy “tooth” and are not greasy.
We have been buying a Boboli individual pizza kit at Sam’s Club that works well. It costs about a dollar per pita pizza crust, but they are really great. The crusts already have some cheese baked into the bread like the larger Boboli crusts. This is a little expensive compared to a $6 “hot and ready” cheese or pepperoni pizza, but each individual pizza we make is really filling (no need for seconds) and has the topping we want on it.
You can sometimes get Boboli crusts for cheap at bakery outlet stores (Entenmen’s.) Just freeze them to keep them fresh. We already freeze ours with no problem. I have no affiliation with Boboli, Entenmen’s, or Sam’s Club.
We really like this pizza. It tastes gourmet and is pretty healthy. And fairly affordable too! You might be surprised how good salmon and melted cheese are!
Click the tags below this post for more recipe ideas!