Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties are more popular than ever.
I think people just like to kick back and get goofy.
Here are some of the best Ugly Christmas Sweater Party ideas I’ve found around the web. Pick your favorites and have fun!
1. The Ugly Christmas Sweater Cake: arrange cupcakes in the shape of a sweater and add plenty of marshmallows, sprinkles, and candies.
2. Print invitations that say something like “It’s Gonna Get Ugly!” or “Eat, Drink, and Be Ugly.” Print ballots and send them along with your invitations.Be sure to have categories like Ugly, Uglier, Ugliest, Most Creative, Most Disgusting, etc.
3. Play Minute-to-Win-It Christmas games. Here are some at Parties 4 Me.
As long as we’re doing goofy things, why not play the Dirty Santa Game? Have each person bring a wrapped white elephant gift or unwanted gift they got in the past (the more horrible the better). Play this game of stealing each other’s wrapped gifts for unbridled greed and fun. Click here for how to play Dirty Santa.
4. Serve Grinch Punch. Simple recipe here.
5. Make pepperoni pizzas in the shape of candy canes.
6. Hang Christmas candy pinatas that you make from boxes and wrapping paper. They are festive decorations until you start whacking at them. Blindfold the whackers and take videos of their efforts.
7. Set up a photo booth with props you make from craft foam hot-glued to chopsticks. Use a little puffy paint if needed. Put up a sign: “Photo Booth, Grab a Prop and Get Ugly!”
8. Make a trip to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army Store, etc. to get the best prices on the tackiest Christmas decor you can find. The gaudier the better. Go for lots of color, shine, and glitter. Set these items all over your party area. If you don’t have many, cluster them on your main table for maximum impact. It can be your tacky room.
Put away your real Christmas decor if you don’t want people to think it’s part of your tacky display. One person’s tacky is another person’s beautiful display.And vice versa. Save everyone’s feelings by making it clear what is your tacky decor and what is not.
9. Hang as many ornaments as you can from your light fixtures–the more the better. Tinsel garlands are always a good idea anywhere.
10. Have a fashion runway show that you film. Give out the prizes at the end of the show and take photos of the winners.
Easy DIY prizes: use hot glue to attach a ribbon to a small dollar store mitten for the winner to wear around their neck. Use puffy paint to write Ugly Winner or whatever on the ribbon.
You can ask each couple to bring an appetizer or dessert. Play Christmas music in the background and/or run some classic Christmas movies/cartoons.
There are so many fun ways to dress for an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. A quick search online will give you plenty of ideas. Have fun!