I just had to pass along this recipe! It tastes like the best pasta and meat sauce you’ve ever had.
It’s the kind we always hope to find at a little family-owned Italian restaurant with fantastic food! I felt very pampered having this dish!
I can’t get over how easy it is and how luxurious it tastes. It’s a beautiful inexpensive dish that’s even healthier than regular spaghetti.
This recipe is super simple; I came up with while doing a pantry clear out. So I used what we had that I would not have thought of before.
I made this at our daughter’s house when they were in the process of moving and didn’t want to take everything along. I probably wouldn’t have discovered the joy of chicken sausage except that she had some in the freezer we needed to use. I’m so glad to have found out about it! Everything in this recipe was in their freezer, refrigerator, or pantry.
We had a quiet supper of this dish and then watched a movie on Netflix. Dinner and a movie! And thoroughly enjoyable.
I swear this recipe is so worth trying! Using spicy chicken sausage cuts the amount of fat in half and add so much flavor. It cost $1.24 a pound at our local store. So it cuts the price of the meat as well.
Spicy Spaghetti Meat Sauce with Linguine
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound spicy chicken sausage (not turkey sausage)
- 1 jar fire-roasted pizza sauce
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 pound lingine pasta (you can use a different pasta, but this was wonderful)
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and chicken sausage. If the sausage came in links squeeze the sausage out of the casings. Throw the casings away. (Do not put in a garbage disposal–it will clog it.)
- Beak up the meat with a potato masher or spoon. Cook the meat on low medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Put water on to boil for the pasta and follow the package directions. Cook until al dente and drain.
- Add pizza sauce to meat skillet. Cook on low temperature.
- Cut tomato into chunks and add to meat/sauce skillet.
- Continue cooking, but on medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat if necessary.
- For each serving: on a base of pasta add about 2/3 cup meat sauce. Top with shredded cheese of choice.
I know this sounds too simple to be good, but it is! The complex flavor comes from the spicy sausage and in the fire roasted pizza sauce.
By the way, I do have a photo of this dish that I took after a few bites of it. But it’s still on my phone and I haven’t figured out how to get it online. Hopefully I can get it on this post soon.
I’m going to try spicy chicken sausage instead of more fatty sausages in other recipes. It’s yummy!
Do you use chicken sausage? How? By the way, I tried this same recipe with turkey sausage. I was not a fan, though my husband liked it.
This would be a wonderful recipe for entertaining. Just add some garlic bread and a green salad. Red wine makes it special.
Another great recipe for entertaining is Walnut Basil Pesto that you can make the day before. I love this stuff! You can use it on pasta or crostini, even on pizza! It’s super simple to make and is real gourmet eating. Oh, it’s also vegetarian. Click here for this fabulous recipe. Whenever you can get fresh basil at a decent price, you have to make it! Then again, it’s a great reason to grow your own basil. That’s easy too. Enjoy!