It’s super easy to make these as you just cut the unpeeled sweet potatoes into chunks & bake. Then you add the topping & broil to make the topping bubble and melt. Not your usual sweet potatoes and very impressive.
Since pecans have gone up in price lately you might want to cut back on the amount of pecans, or skip them altogether. Another way to use less topping compared to the amount of sweet potato is to just cut the sweet potatoes into taller pieces. My friend cut skinny sweet potatoes to be about 3-4 inches tall & they looked very cool, almost sculptural. If you make them short they are more like muffin tops. Your choice. Yummy either way. And if you don’t want as much sugar, just put the amount on top you want.
Sweet Potato Crowns
Cooking Time:35 min
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch slices with ends discarded
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and salt; mix well. Add sweet potatoes and toss until evenly coated.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on each potato round and return to oven; cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until sugar is melted. Serve immediately.
These look great. Any hints for making them ahead of time?