You can still enjoy a bbq or cookout and not blow your diet. Prevention has figured out some food combinations that will come in under 400 calories.
1. Barbequed chicken, corn on the cob, and strawberries with whipped cream That does not sound like a diet meal.
2. A hamburger on a bun with all the “fixins” followed by a slice of watermelon
3. Veggie kebab, potato salad, and a light beer
4. Steak, grilled veggies, and sangria
5. Grilled sausage link, baked beans, and cole slaw
6. Beef and veggie kebab, pasta salad, brownie
I’d like to make chicken kebabs and veggie kebabs to serve with corn on the cob and watermelon. I like to break the ears of corn into 2 pieces so people can have the amount they want. Personally I’d prefer 1/2 an ear of corn and a small serving of baked beans instead of a whole ear of corn. That way I get more variety on my plate & the combination makes for a complete protein that is far more satisfying than just corn or beans. Click on the label “combine proteins” below this post to see how that works.
You can probably have a small portion of some other items at the cookout if you keep in mind your daily calorie total. Click on the label “low calorie” below this post for recipes for dishes you can bring to a cookout. When you bring a raw veggie tray or fruit tray you know you will have things to eat that are healthy!
Click the title of this post to link to Prevention for more ideas.