|A Beautiful California Cobb Salad|
April, 4, 2013
If you love California Cobb salad, you can capture all those flavors in this perfect pocket sandwich. Simply tuck your favorite Cobb salad ingredients into pita bread for a satisfying flavorful sandwich to take anywhere. How about a picnic lunch at the park or Saturday lunch on the deck? Ah, Springtime!
Feel free to change up any of these ingredients or their proportions to you liking. This is just the way I like it.
This a fairly healthy sandwich, so enjoy its fresh flavors without the guilt! It’s nice enough to serve to guests for lunch in my opinion.
Cobb Salad Pita Pockets (makes 4 generous servings)
2 cooked chicken breast halves, sliced
12 Lettuce leaves, Romaine preferred for the crunch and all the vitamins
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced (use 2 if they are small) and coated with the juice of 1/2 lemon
2 large plum tomatoes or a pint of grape tomatoes, washed
2 hard boiled eggs
12 halved black olives
4 slices bacon (can be turkey bacon), cooked until crisp, drained, coarsely crumbled
2 large pita pockets, cut in half
a few blue cheese crumbles
4 dollops of plain Greek yogurt
1, Boil the eggs earlier in the day or the day before so they have time to chill well in the refrigerator.
2. Put avocado slices in a bowl with the lemon juice and mash with a fork, pastry blender, or potato masher leaving some good sized lumps. This will thicken after a bit and make a great spread.*
3, Wash and dry spinach and lettuce leaves.
4. Slice the tomatoes. If using grape tomatoes, leave them whole.
5. Peel and slice the hard boiled eggs.
6. Spread 2 Tablespoons of the avocado mixture in each pita half or just add it on top of the chicken in step 7.
7. Add in this order: lettuce and spinach, chicken, tomatoes, olives, and sliced eggs.
8. Place a dollop of avocado mixture just off-center and top with blue cheese crumbles.
9. Put a dollop of plain Greek yogurt next to the avocado mixture and sprinkle some bacon crumbles on top.
10. Serve with a side of fresh fruit. (Prop the sandwich up with some grapes.) Lemonade or iced tea would be good with this.
Of course it doesn’t have to be lunch for this yummy sandwich. Saturday night or whenever works too. Enjoy!
*Use the avocado mixture as a sandwich spread on any sandwich as a healthier alternative to mayonnaise.